fiona xmas.png
spreads (7).gif

Break out of your bubble and drive to survive – Operation Stay Alert


Police across NSW will be targeting all speeding, mobile phone, seatbelt and motorcycle/helmet offences, which will attract double demerit points. So far this year, 165 people have lost their lives on NSW roads.

Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy said the majority of those who’ve lost their lives on NSW roads so far this year were men. Drivers need to be more aware of their surroundings and drive to survive is the message from police as many begin setting out on June long weekend road trips.

“Speeding or drink driving doesn’t make you more of a man – nor does risking the life of your mates or those you love,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.

“I am renewing our appeal to passengers, regardless of where you are sitting in the vehicle, to call the driver out on their behaviour. “

Minister for Police and Emergency Services David Elliott said police were not interested in excuses when it came to ensuring the safety of everyone on the road. “Drivers need to be vigilant, tragedy can strike anywhere, at any time,” Mr Elliott said.

“Don’t become insulated in your own invincibility, be alert and remain mindful of drivers around you - drive to survive.

“Many people are expected to leave Sydney and head south for the start of the snow season. People are reminded not to try and do too much in a short time frame, placing themselves and their loved ones at risk of being killed or injured in a crash.”

Minister for Roads Andrew Constance said too many people become complacent when they get into a vehicle.

“Too many people have lost their lives or been injured on our roads so far this year,” Mr Constance said.

“Speeding, drink and drug driving and fatigue remain the biggest killers on our roads. We need everyone to think about their actions every time they get behind the wheel and the impact those actions may have on others.”

Operation Stay Alert, the state’s June long-weekend road safety operation, will start at 12.01am on Friday 7 June 2019 and will run until 11.59am on Monday 10 June 2019. During Operation Stay Alert 2018, three people lost their lives in separate crashes on NSW roads


#latest #Paper #Weekly #BatemansBay #Moruya #Narooma

COMMENTS : Due to the risks associated with comments from unidentified contributors that expose The Beagle to possible legal actions under the NSW Defamation Act 2005 No 77 anonymous or Nom de Plume comments will not be available until an alternate system of author verification can be investigated and hopefully installed.

Those who provide their REAL NAME (first name AND Surname) and a verifiable email address (it won't be published) are invited to comment below. (yes it is a pain but please comply - it would be a  shame to see your comment deleted)

Those contributors KNOWN to us and verified may continue to use their First Name for ease. The primary need for all of this is due to traceability should a legal action arise.

If you need anonymity email us via our normal or encrypted email accounts


Please note that if you are looking for a previous comment that is no longer visible please contact us.