The Supporting Albert Ryan Park, Beach Rd, Bateman's Bay group advise: In reply to our email asking for a time frame for the refresh of the interior of the toilets at Albert Ryan Park, a reply was promptly received from the Executive Assistant to Director - Community, Arts and Recreation Services that the interior of the toilets at Albert Ryan Park will be given a refresh. In part it says “I would like to advise you that the interior of the facilities at Albert Ryan Park will be painted prior to 30 June 2018.” This result came about following the two motions that Councillor Patrick McGinlay put forward to council meetings, the first NOM18/003 at the meeting of the 27th March 2018 and also NOM18/005 the 24th April, asking council to move the upgrade of the toilets at Albert Ryan Park from a medium priority to a high priority. Although the motion was defeated Deputy Mayor Anthony Mayne on both occassions did ask if the facility could get a freshen up. At the meeting of the 24th April Anthony Mayne asked of the Director of Community, Arts and Recreation Services, Kathy Arthur, if the toilets could, at least have, a refresh and general clean up. This for the interim, before the full upgrade could take place. This was agreed and as a result by the end of June the interior will be cleaned up and refreshed.
Also the Clyde River and Batemans Bay Historical Society Inc. has emailed council with a request to renovate the Mile Post on Albert Ryan Park. Camerons H Hardware have come to the party with materials to accomplish the renovations, so it’s now up to council to agree.
The Mile Post is gradually disintegrating and needs repair work done as soon as possible. It is also in danger of cars and vans parking too close and possibly bumping in to it. The Mile Post was moved to its current position by the then DMR, who had used this land as a depot from 1942 to 1974. In 1942 Lot 11 (148) of Albert Ryan Park was resumed for the purpose of the DMR. In 1945 Lot 10 (57) was also resumed for the DMR. It was then used as a depot and storage for roadworks. In the early 1950's the DMR had buildings, offices and even a blacksmiths area, mostly for the purpose supporting the building of the Batemans Bay Bridge. The Mile Post acknowledges the DMR's connection to the park.
Above: Photo courtesy of Carol Prior The Historical Society has the manpower and materials donated by a long time local business, so this can be accomplished at no cost to council. It is a great opportunity for council, local business and community to come together for a mutual outcome. We realise this is only an interim fix, but as ratepayers we believe it would be unwise to spend too much money on the park when a full upgrade of the park and facilities has been earmarked. The Supporting Albert Ryan Park group Photos Leah Burke