Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of 22 December 1917, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:
WELCOME HOME. – The Turlinjah residents are tendering Pts. Allan Rose and Spencer Colbran a welcome home tonight (Saturday).
FAT BULLOCKS. – On Thursday 30 prime bullocks, which have been fattened on Strathallan Estate, Braidwood, arrived in Moruya in charge of Mr. C. Keating’s drover, for Donnely Bros’ butchery.
PRICE OF MOTORS. – Like everything else the price of motor cars is on the upgrade. Five months ago Mr. A. Keating purchased a new Ford two-seater car in Sydney, and after that period’s use has disposed of it at a considerable advance on his purchase price.
WOODROW WILSON ought to make Henry Ford his minister for doing things quick. By standardising his cars Ford has produced between 70,000 and 80,000 vehicles a month and in May last year actually produced 83,616 each of which earned a factory profit of £5 5s, which means considerably over £5,000,000 per annum. Ford has 37,000 men on his paysheet at Detroit, and expects that the army will absorb two-thirds of this personnel. But he has a reserve of over 25,000 who have been tempted to offer their services by a Ford wage-scale beginning at £1 per day.
DEPARTURE. – Mr. and Mrs. A. Keating and little son, who have been on a visit to their parents here, leave for Sydney tomorrow (Sunday). They intend sailing shortly by the Aki Maru for their home in Hong Kong.
LAUNCH SOLD. – Mr. A. H. Weatherby has disposed of his good motor launch “Moruya,” to a Sydney gentleman. The loss of this sea-worthy little boat is deeply regretted by deep-sea fishermen as well as excursionists to our sea beaches.
THE REFERENDUM. – Now that the Referendum polling is a thing of the past we are pleased to be able to record that never in our long and varied experience have we witnessed such a quiet polling day.
The following is a result of the voting:-
Moruya A SUBDIVISION
TOTAL FOR ALL STATES
TOWN ALLOTMENTS. – Tenders for the purchase of allotments of land in Emmott’s Gundary subdivision, and in Toose’s Mynora subdivision close this (Saturday) with R. H. Harvison. Allotment 6, portion 36 in Mantle Hill subdivision also advertised for sale by tender, close on the 29th instant.
XMAS HOLIDAYS. – Xmas Day, Post Office closes all day; Boxing Day open from 9 to 10; New Year’s Day open from 9 to 10 a.m. Early morning delivery of correspondence on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL. – We are pleased to report that Miss Vera Myrtle Colefax, daughter of Mr. W. J. Colefax, and who is a pupil of the Girl’s High School, Sydney, was amongst those who were highly successful in the educational examination. This clever young lady attained no less than four third year certificates, viz.: History, English, Latin and Science, an achievement she should be warmly congratulated upon.
PERSONAL AND OTHERWISE. –
A pending Bega breach of promise case has been settled satisfactorily, we are told, to both parties.
Mr. B. J. Moran’s tender (coach) for the Moruya-Tilba mail for the ensuing three years has been accepted.
Mrs. Les Chapman and her family intend to spend the Xmas vacation at Narooma, where they have purchased a cottage.
Miss Eva Crapp, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. Crapp, of “Dalmeny,” Bodalla, and who has been in Sydney for some time, is on a visit to her friends in Moruya.
Mr. W. I Brown, son of the late Mr. Edward Brown, who was a stepson of the late Mr. James Coman, of Glenduart, Moruya, is now doing business in the auctioneering and commission agency business in Bega.
Miss Laura Smith, a former Public School teacher in Moruya, and Mrs. Smith, mother and sister of the popular and prosperous editor of the Bega “Southern Star,” spent a day last week in Moruya, on their way to Sydney, and during their sojourn spent a few happy hours with their old friends, Mr. and Mrs. T. E. Walter of Queen Street.
Eighteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1916 are available ($5 ea) from the Society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the Society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (www.mdhs.org.au).