top of page
Screenshot 2023-06-13 180949.png
  • Writer's pictureThe Beagle

BBay bridge opening - Dec 21st, 1956

This story and photograph was sent to the Sydney Daily Telegraph, by local resident Leah Burke, some days before the Bay Bridge opened to the Public on 21st. November 1956. It depicts a parade over the bridge on the 11th. November 1956. As you can see, her father Edsel 'Grubber' Ladmore was quick to take advantage of the situation. Sporting his best bakers kit, he strode out along the road bearing his version of an Olympic torch. What a performance!!!! Happy 60th to our bridge on the 21st of November - Old Courthouse Museum In support of this event, the Old Courthouse Museum will be putting on a historical display at the Bridge Plaza Shopping Centre from Thursday 17th. November, for several days. The display will also feature a large number of greetings cards, created by younger pupils from our local public schools. Please come along and support your local volunteer-run Museum. This newspaper cutting kindly shared with The Beagle by the Old Courthouse Museum, Batemans Bay

The Old Courthouse Museum, Batemans Bay: Situated on a large block close to bushland and next to the Water Gardens, the Old Courthouse Museum was built in 1905. It comprises several connected buildings, including the Courthouse, the former Nelligen one-room School House, the Police Station and Residence and a collection of outbuildings containing antique machinery and tools associated with the local timber, farming and fishing industries. The Old Courthouse Museum explores the local history of the Batemans Bay area, including the early days of European settlement when timber cutting and milling became the first major industry of the area. Take a tour of the buildings, where each room tells a different, but related story of the Bay’s developments in areas such as its aboriginal heritage, medicine, education, crime and punishment, industry, military history and domestic arrangements.

NOTE: Comments were TRIALED - in the end it failed as humans will be humans and it turned into a pile of merde; only contributed to by just a handful who did little to add to the conversation of the issue at hand. Anyone who would like to contribute an opinion are encouraged to send in a Letter to the Editor where it might be considered for publication

bottom of page