fiona.png
spreads (3).gif

What are the risks to my cat or dog from rat bait?

With the increase in mice and rats across the region: RSPCA Knowledgebase

Rat baits are dangerous and potentially deadly to animals and people that consume them. The baits used are normally flavoured to make them attractive to rodents and these can also entice other animals to eat them. Dogs and cats who ingest rat baits may die. Even children have sometimes been poisoned by rat bait. How are dogs and cats poisoned by rat baits? Your dog or cat could develop rat bait poisoning if they eat rat bait directly or if they eat tissue from an animal that has consumed rat bait. What are the clinical signs of rat bait poisoning? The clinical signs of rat bait poisoning vary considerably depending on the size of your dog or cat, and how much and what kind of rat bait they ingested. There are different kinds of rat bait available; the most common are anti-coagulant poisons that stop blood from clotting normally, resulting in excessive bleeding. The development of clinical signs is usually delayed for 3-7 days after the dog or cat consumes the poison. Signs of rat bait poisoning may include:

  • Obvious external signs of haemorrhage (dependent on where the bleeding is; for example bruising, bloody faeces or urine, nose bleeds, vomiting blood).

  • Lethargy

  • Weakness

  • Wobbliness

  • Loss of appetite

  • Distended abdomen from bleeding into the abdomen

  • Coughing, wheezing, or difficulty breathing from bleeding into the chest

  • pale gums from anaemia

  • Bulging of eyes from bleeding behind the eyes

  • Sudden death with no obvious clinical signs can also occur.

If you have any concerns about your pet please contact your vet as soon as possible. Rat bait poisoning can be treated, but the chance of recovery depends on how severely the dog or cat is affected, amount of bait consumed, and what kind of bait they ate. Seeking veterinary treatment as soon as possible is critical, with many needing prolonged treatment due to the lingering effects of the baits. What can be done to prevent rat bait poisoning? Avoid using rat baits around your property and opt for a safer and more humane method of rodent control. If you are using rat baits, make sure that they are always stored and used out of reach of children and other animals. Loose poison baits (pellets, meals) should not be used, instead the poison should be inside a bait station that cannot be accessed or opened by children and pets. Take steps to avoid your dog gaining access to rat baits outside of your property by keeping them on leash in areas where you know rat baits are present, and preventing them from eating rodents or carcasses. Cats may be at risk of eating poisoned rodents due to their hunting behaviour. You can take steps to protect your cat, particularly if they are safely contained to your property. Rat/mouse proof your property to prevent rodent numbers building up and also to prevent poisoned animals entering your property.

Nick Fewings Unsplash

COMMENTS : Due to the risks associated with comments from unidentified contributors that expose The Beagle to possible legal actions under the NSW Defamation Act 2005 No 77 anonymous or Nom de Plume comments will not be available unless the author is known to the editor by way of a verified email address or by association.

Others who provide their REAL NAME (first name AND Surname) and a verifiable email address (it won't be published) are invited to comment below. (yes it is a pain but please comply - it would be a  shame to see your comment deleted)

Those contributors KNOWN to us and verified may continue to use their First Name or Nom de plume for ease. The primary need for all of this is due to traceability should a legal action arise.

If you need anonymity email us via our normal or encrypted email accounts


Please note that if you are looking for a previous comment that is no longer visible please contact us.

 

buymeacoffee.png