Permanent changes to Princes Highway intersection at Narooma
Motorists in Narooma are advised they will not be able to turn right from the Princes Highway into Centenary Drive as of next week.
Transport for NSW Director Southern Region, Jo Parrott, said the change was recommended after several serious crashes were recorded at this intersection.
“In the five-year period between 2013 and 2018 there were nine crashes recorded at this site, five of which were casualty crashes and two resulted in serious injury – most involving road users accessing Centenary Drive from the highway,” Ms Parrott said.
“The NSW Government is committed to getting people home safely and these changes will greatly reduce the risk of further collisions at this intersection.
“Community consultation on this proposal was carried out last year and Transport for NSW determined the preferred option was to permanently remove right turn vehicle access into Centenary Drive.”
Work to remove the right turn into Centenary Drive from the Princes Highway will be carried out on Tuesday 12 May between 7am and 6pm, weather permitting.
It will involve installing a guardrail to allow only the left-out movement from Centenary Drive onto the Princes Highway.
Signs and line marking will also be installed as part of the project.
Single lane closures, traffic control and a 40km/h speed zone will be in place for the work.
Road users wishing to access Centenary Drive, Bar Beach and the surrounding area will be required to travel one kilometre north to the intersection of Princes Highway and Dalmeny Drive.
Motorists are already banned from turning left into or right out of Centenary Drive at this intersection.
Transport for NSW thanks the community for their patience while this work is carried out.