Melbourne placed under stage 4 coronavirus lockdown, stage 3 for rest of Victoria as state of disaster declared Sweeping new restrictions, including a night-time curfew, will be imposed across Melbourne under stage four restrictions from tonight and regional Victoria will return to stage three restrictions from Thursday.
Premier Daniel Andrews said 671 new coronavirus cases had been detected since yesterday and seven more people had died.
Six of the deaths have a connection to aged care.
From 6:00pm tonight, a state of disaster will be declared across Victoria, which will act in addition to the state of emergency.
Mr Andrews said the state of disaster gave police greater power and allowed authorities to suspend acts of Parliament.
An evening curfew will be implemented across Melbourne from 8:00pm to 5:00am every day, starting tonight.
Melbourne residents will only be allowed to shop and exercise within 5 kilometres of their homes.
Regional Victoria will move to stage three restrictions from Thursday.
All students across the state will return to home-based learning and childcare centres will be closed.
The Mitchell Shire, north of Melbourne, will stay on the same stage three restrictions it has been on for nearly three weeks.
The new restrictions will last until at least September 13.
Mr Andrews said the changes being announced today were about how Victorians lived their lives, but more changes would be announced on Monday about restrictions on workplaces.