Editor of the Beagle.
Information being sought by the Moruya RSL Sub-Branch, re History in area.
In the 1930’s Moruya and Bodalla were a combined Sub-Branch, Is anyone aware or have any information or family records of this, or they may know where records are held.
In the 1920’s the following locations Bodalla, Turlinjah, Bergalia and Moruya, applied to the Government for spoils of the First World War, each of these location received a Light Machine Gun, to be display at these locations. What happened to these LMG”s?
In the next few years it will be the Centenary of some of these locations in regards to memorials, and Moruya RSL Sub-Branch would like to see events commemorated.
Any information would be appreciated.
The Bergalia War Memorial commemorates those from the district who served in both World Wars. After the Great War ex-servicemen and members of the Bergalia Rifle Club formed a committee with the intention that a memorial should be built at Bergalia. By 1920 the Committee had been formed. In 1921 an application had been made to the Australian War Museum for a gun and tripod, which were to ornament the granite base of the memorial. A light machine gun without tripod and base was allotted in May 1921. The memorial was not built of granite as had been intended, but of concrete, with the gun mounted on top, the whole being covered by a rotunda type roof to protect the gun from the weather. A memorial wall has been built behind the original cement monument and two plaques, honouring those from the area who served in World War Two have been placed. The memorial is on land donated by the Grieg family who have the adjacent farm. The ANZAC service here each year attracts a large crowd - 100 plus which is large for a small rural area, and the local Moruya Light Horse troop also attends. The memorial was rededicated on ANZAC Day 2003. source