Holiday home owners boost long term rental stock

Holiday home owners have responded enthusiastically to a plea from Eurobodalla Council, mailed to each and all, to consider permanently letting their property to those impacted by bushfire.

Eurbodalla Council wrote to non-resident ratepayers in the shire after this summer’s devastating bushfires, asking if they could help by providing their holiday house as a long-term rental this year.

Under the signature of the Mayor the letter said “We have many residents who have lost their homes and there are not enough houses to rent.” “Families are staying with friends, in motels, in campgrounds, tents and caravans. With the school year beginning we are trying to help people to move into more appropriate temporary housing and rental properties as soon as possible, as this is a vital step in the process of rebuilding lives and moving forward.” More than 80 properties have been offered for rent as a result of the Council's appeal, providing a dramatic boost in the number of rentals on offer.

The Mayor has been heartened by the response saying "We know these non-resident ratepayers love our shire and want to help in this crisis. This is a really practical way they can help the local community get back on its feet.

“We have lost at least 500 homes, with many families, and in some cases whole communities severely impacted.

“Two months on, we still have people living in caravans and tents and that’s not ideal heading into the colder months. Putting a permanent roof over their heads is a first step to bringing normality back into their lives.”

It is not too late for non-resident ratepayers, or local ratepayers, to offer up their homes. The Council provided a list of real estate agents under the banner of Invest Eurobodalla for prospective land lords to reference. Disappointingly there were many errors in the list from listing of agents who only sold land, listing of agents no longer operating and most disappointingly omissions of rental agencies shire wide.

Anyone interested is advised to deal directly with a local real estate agent of their choice or, alternatively, contact the Bushfire Housing Assistance Response Team at the NSW Department of Communities and Justice.

The NSW Department of Family and Justice also offers incentives to support tenancy arrangements, including rental bonds and rental assistance payments paid on behalf of the prospective tenant.”


COMMENTS : You can use a pen name or better yet use your real name, you must provide a valid email address (that does not get published) and your comment will be moderated prior to approval (or rejection if that is the determination of the moderator). Refer to our Terms and Conditions if you have any questions) 

Please note that from time to time comments are archived. If you are looking for a previous comment no longer visible please contact us. Last Archived 7th July 2019