Easter chocs and hot cross buns - take care


Easter is here so please be careful not to leave any chocolate around for your canine friend to find. While ingesting a small amount of chocolate may only cause mild stomach discomfort in dogs, ingesting a large amount may require a visit to the vet… large quantities of chocolate can cause seizures, respiratory failure and cardiac arrest in dogs. In severe cases, chocolate can kill dogs. EASTER is a time for chocolate and also hot cross buns. Unfortunately both of these are highly toxic to dogs so care needs to be taken when these 'food' items are around.

Ingesting raisins, currants and sultanas can lead to kidney failure and large amounts of chocolate (which contains theobromine) can produce muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or a heart attack.

Hiding Easter eggs? Count how many you are putting out. Put your dog away whilst the children search. Make sure all have been found before your dog is allowed back in the backyard or wherever else you have hidden the eggs.

If you think your dog may be suffering from ingesting hot cross buns or chocolate during the Easter holiday period, contact your vet immediately.


CC0 Public Domain

Above: Professional theatre-trained dog acting "chocolate affected"

Screenshot 2022-08-05 170917.png
buymeacoffee.png