spreads (21).gif

Disaster Recovery Allowance - claims still open

NSW Bushfires - September 2019 - Disaster Recovery Allowance

Support for people who can show they lost income as a direct result of the bushfires in New South Wales in August 2019 through to February 2020.

You have until 4 August 2020 to make a claim What is it

Disaster Recovery Allowance is a short term payment to help you if a declared disaster directly affects your income. For this event, Disaster Recovery Allowance isn't taxable.

You can get it for a maximum of 13 weeks. It’s paid from the date you lose income as a direct result of the NSW Bushfires, September 2019.

Who can get it

To get Disaster Recovery Allowance you must meet all of the following. You:

are 16 years or older at the time of the fire are an Australian resident or hold an eligible visa work or live in an affected Local Government Area lose income as a direct result of the bushfires earn less than the average weekly income in the weeks after you had this income loss.

You can’t get this payment if you’re a dependent child.

We use Australian Bureau of Statistics figures to work out average weekly income, as follows:

from 1 January 2019 – $1,586.20 per week from 1 January 2020 - $1,633.80 per week.

You must not get the following payments for the same period you’re claiming this payment:

an income support payment or pension Parental Leave Pay Dad and Partner Pay ABSTUDY living allowance Farm Household Allowance a Service Pension from the Department of Veterans' Affairs.

If you’re a member of a couple, you can both get this payment. You and your partner will need to complete separate claims.

Independent child

If you’re between 16 and 21 years old, you may get Disaster Recovery Allowance if you’re considered independent.

We’ll look at all of the following:

your income your personal circumstances if you’re dependent on anyone, such as an adult who has legal responsibility for your care and provides financial assistance.

How much you can get

The maximum payment rate is the equivalent of Newstart or Youth Allowance, based on your circumstances. Your income before and after the fires will affect how much you get.

If you’re independent, we’ll work out your maximum rate of payment based on both your:

accommodation personal circumstances. What evidence you need to provide

We'll ask you to give us evidence of your loss of income.

If you earn a salary or wage we’ll ask you for documents that show your income for the 4 weeks before the bushfires.

If your income changes each week we will ask you to show your income for the 8 weeks before the bushfires.

Evidence can include any of the following:

pay slips from your employer bank statements showing previous bank deposits from your employer a letter from your employer.

If you’re a farmer or you have a small business we'll ask you to show us as many of these documents as possible:

profit and loss statements income tax returns other documents that show cash flow such as a bank statement for your business trust or partnership tax return.

If you don’t have evidence, call us on 180 22 66. Click HERE to learn How to claim

COMMENTS : Due to the risks associated with comments from unidentified contributors that expose The Beagle to possible legal actions under the NSW Defamation Act 2005 No 77 anonymous or Nom de Plume comments will not be available unless the author is known to the editor by way of a verified email address or by association.

Others who provide their REAL NAME (first name AND Surname) and a verifiable email address (it won't be published) are invited to comment below. (yes it is a pain but please comply - it would be a  shame to see your comment deleted)

Those contributors KNOWN to us and verified may continue to use their First Name or Nom de plume for ease. The primary need for all of this is due to traceability should a legal action arise.

If you need anonymity email us via our normal or encrypted email accounts

Please note that if you are looking for a previous comment that is no longer visible please contact us.