Council 2020: Labor throws hat in the ring
Dear Beagle Editor,
Trust in politics is at its lowest point. People are weary of representation where decisions are made based on short term personal interest and gain. It is safe to say that instead, people want representation that is based on the public interest, where decisions are made after consulting and including the community.
In September 2020 the Eurobodalla community will be electing nine people including a Mayor as councilors. With ten months to go it is a good time to begin thinking about what we want from candidates who, if elected, will be making decisions that affect our daily lives.
We need Councillors who:
· Respect Public Service as a privilege.
· Listen to the community and work together within Council frameworks on the health/social/environmental impacts of climate change.
· Act on the social issues facing the Eurobodalla community such as homelessness, affordable housing, high unemployment rates, mental health issues, disadvantage and poverty.
· Honour the land we live on just as the first peoples’ have done for thousands of years.
· Are determined that Councillors/Council must be transparent, accountable and consult with the people.
There is a saying “decisions are made by those who show up”. I am putting my name forward for pre selection as a Country Labor candidate for the 2020 Council election. My hope is that in 10 months time the Eurobodalla will have a Progressive Council working in the interests of the public for an inclusive, community focused and sustainable future.