Batemans Bay’s OOSH after school and vacation care centre was destroyed by fire overnight. The building was empty at the time and no one was injured.
The centre is owned and operated by Eurobodalla Shire Council and located on the grounds of Batemans Bay Primary School in Surfside. There was no damage to the school.
Police are investigating the blaze, which started around 11pm on Christmas night and was extinguished by firefighters before midnight.
The centre provides vacation care and before and after school care for more than 20 families and their children.
It was due to open on Thursday 2 January for a full program of school holiday activities.
Council’s children’s services coordinator Louise Hatton said the service will open as planned, thanks to the generosity of Bay Primary principal Kel Smerdon, who immediately offered temporary use of the school hall.
“Our OOSH kids and parents will be shocked and sad about this news,” Ms Hatton said.
“However, I want to reassure everyone that we will open next Thursday as planned. The OOSH team is already gathering resources from our other centres in Moruya and Narooma to make sure our Bay kids still have a brilliant time these school holidays.”
Families with bookings will hear from the service this week to inform them about the fire and the temporary arrangements for January.
Photo: Mark Gould
📸 Eurobodalla Shire Council