fiona.png
spreads (7).gif

Moruya Jockey Club book launch and race day at Moruya this Easter Saturday


The Moruya Jockey Club will be hosting a pink themed Easter Saturday race day to raise money for Breast Cancer Research 🐎🌸 There will be competitions for ladies, gents and kids as well as best Lady of the Day in pink themed outfit and a jumping castle will be also be available for the kids! 🏰😁


Did you Know? : Racing in Moruya commenced around 1870. For many years, the races were run at the “old” Moruya Racecourse in the centre of Moruya township, where the Showgrounds and Golf Course are now situated. The current racecourse at Donnelly Drive was opened in 1985. The Moruya Jockey Club had its 1st race meeting on the original site on 26th / 27th January 1887. In 1890’s a new period of development of the Park as a racecourse commenced. This was carried out under the auspices of the Moruya Jockey Club. Abraham F. Emmott writes of testing the speed of his horse by racing those on the track, along the outside of the course which ran to the west of Murray St c1890. In 1985 the horse races that had been a regular feature on the racetrack came to an end and the Moruya Jockey Club moved out to its new home.During the development of the racecourse a grandstand of sort was built. In 1904 many Moruya residents felt that it was inadequate and a large petition was presented to town Council for a new structure. The Mayor Alan Taylor convened a public meeting at which voted for a construction of a new grandstand. No grant was forthcoming from the governments. The cost was mainly borne by the Moruya Jockey Club and the Park Trustees, each contributing £30. The balance, nearly another £30 was raised by donations from the public. It was opened by the Mayor on 7th February 1905. Source:


***********************************************

Also This Easter Saturday will be the launch of The History of The Moruya Jockey Club 1852-1905, written by Tuross Head historian Carlene Winch-Dummett Ph.D. M.Ed. Litt.B. (Merit) B.A. T.C. Ms Winch-Dummett , the author of The History of The Moruya Jockey Club 1852-1905, developed a love of the south coast and of its racing history when she first discovered the Moruya Race Track that she describes as an "absolute hidden gem". The book covers the first fifty three years of the jockey club's history and with little in the way of historical records to work on Ms Winch-Dummett went back to the first records of recorded settlement history in the area taking guidance from Trove and tomes such as 'Eurobodalla' - History of the Moruya District - by H.J. Gibney and Peter Smith, author of The Clarke Gang bringing the local racing history alive in its pages. Whilst enjoying the capture and research of local history, Carlene Winch-Dummett is also an Australian teacher of English,an anthropologist, educational theorist, keen photographer and amateur Australian history enthusiast. Other local histories by Ms Winch-Dummett can be found at the MORUYA AND DISTRICT HISTORICAL SOCIETY (MDHS) being: 2018 The Mystery of the Tuross Unmarked Graves (MDHS Vol. 20, No. 1, March 2018) 2011 The Garlandtown Tannery, Moruya (MDHS Vol 13, No 4, December 2011) 2009 Rollers to Curve Corrugated Iron for Water Tanks ( MDHS Vol 11, No 1, March 2009) 2008 Clifford William Evans - Moruya Farmer &Inventor (MDHS Vol 10, No 3, September 2008) 2008 The Millstone from Gundary Ridge(MDHS Vol 10, no 2, June 2008) 2008 The Stereoscope - a Strange Instrument used in the Victorian Age and also Today (MDHS Vol 10, No 1, March 2008) 2007 The Amazing Black Wattle (MDHS Vol 9, No 8, December 2007)

#Moruya #whatson #Weekly #Paper #History #MoruyaHistory #Community

COMMENTS : Due to the risks associated with comments from unidentified contributors that expose The Beagle to possible legal actions under the NSW Defamation Act 2005 No 77 anonymous or Nom de Plume comments will not be available until an alternate system of author verification can be investigated and hopefully installed.

Those who provide their REAL NAME (first name AND Surname) and a verifiable email address (it won't be published) are invited to comment below. (yes it is a pain but please comply - it would be a  shame to see your comment deleted)

Those contributors KNOWN to us and verified may continue to use their First Name for ease. The primary need for all of this is due to traceability should a legal action arise.

If you need anonymity email us via our normal or encrypted email accounts


Please note that if you are looking for a previous comment that is no longer visible please contact us.