Police are pleased with the significant difference in the number of fatalities during Operation Safe Arrival, with 14 less deaths on NSW roads compared to 2017.
Operation Safe Arrival, the State’s Christmas/New Year road safety operation, started at 12.01am on Friday 21 December 2018, and will continue until 11.59pm on Tuesday 1 January 2019.
Double demerits are in place over the entire operation for all speeding, mobile phone, seatbelt and motorcycle-helmet offences.
Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy of the Traffic & Highway Patrol Command, said it’s important to reflect on the positives of this year’s operation.
“Although it’s disappointing to see a hit and run incident showing complete lack of care for other people’s wellbeing, I’m satisfied this operation is reflecting the strong approach we have taken with more police saturating the roads,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.
“As we near the end of the operation, I’m pleased there have been 14 less people killed on NSW roads during the operation so far.
“I encourage all road users to take extra care in the leadup to the new year, so they arrive safely to enjoy celebrations with family and friends,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.
Key statistics (Cumulative total – started on 21 December 2018): Total infringements issued (not speeding): 15,536 Speed infringements: 9,202 Breath tests: 413,463 Drink-driving charges: 495 Lives lost: 6