South East Local Land Services, in partnership with Catchment Action NSW, is working with applicants for the 2017/2018 Aboriginal community support program.
The aim of the program is to help Aboriginal communities manage Country to protect Aboriginal sites, deliver natural resource management outcomes, create training and employment opportunities, protect and promote cultural heritage and share Aboriginal knowledge and practices.
“One of our goals is to deliver services that support Aboriginal people to care for Country and share traditional land management knowledge” South East Local Land Services Aboriginal community support officer, Dan Morgan, said.
“The grants provide a great opportunity for the local Aboriginal community to access funding and support to create employment opportunities to care for Country.”
Examples of successful projects being implemented in 2016/17 include:
· Coomaditchie United Aboriginal Corporation’s ‘Mura Nura Project’ which is creating a series of collaborative artworks with young Aboriginal people depicting the local stories and illustrating local natural flora and fauna.
· Djuwin Mudjingaalbaraga Mens Group’s ‘Traditional Fire Project’ which is promoting and implementing traditional burning practices and producing educational and information sharing materials.
· Ngambri Local Aboriginal Land Council’s ‘Ngambri Cultural Camp’ which is providing an avenue for cultural and other knowledge to be passed between community members and build a safe, healthy and proud community.
Eligible applicants include:
· Aboriginal men’s or women’s groups
· Aboriginal elders groups
· boards of management
· Aboriginal Land Councils
· Aboriginal community groups and organisations.
Other entities may apply provided that the project delivers the project outcomes and that they co-deliver the project in partnership with at least one eligible Aboriginal community group.
Applications must be submitted by 23 November. Applicants are encouraged to contact Dan Morgan on 02 6491 7820 to discuss their project ideas and to get a copy of the application form.