Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of Date 1917, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:
“Manny” Harrison of Candelo is once more leaving the district, having been sentenced to six months imprisonment in Long Bay for being a habitual drunkard. This is sound procedure.
“CHRISTIAN SOLIDARITY.” – At the Anglican Synod, a motion by Archdeacon Davies was carried, deploring the evidences of schism and strife in society, and calling upon all citizens to apply the principle of Christian solidarity in the relations of their work and life.
FREEZING WORKS. – Mr. J. McKeon, who resigned the management of the local Freezing Works, has now launched out as a big supplier to these works of rabbits, which he is obtaining from as far as Cobargo and having conveyed to the works by a well appointed motor lorry.
NEW COTTAGE. – Mr. G. Mitchell, of Narooma, is having a four-roomed cottage erected on his allotment of land adjoining the Hotel Adelaide, Moruya.
FISHING INDUSTRY. – Messrs. J. Davis and Newman must be accumulating quite a nice independence owing to the success which has been attending them in the fishing industry for some time past. Of course there are fishermen and fishermen, and whilst some make a failure of the business there are others, such as Davis and Newman, who are experts, brought up from infancy at the game, who make a success of it. Last week this firm sent away 120 baskets, including 28 Jew Fish, one weighing no less than 50lbs, all netted in the Tuross Lake.
HEADS ROAD. – Our Representative inspected the road to the surfing beach on the north side of the Moruya River during the week, and is of the opinion that one good man could put it in motorable order in 2 or 3 weeks. Tourists would not so persistently pass Moruya if our Councillors get this work done.
QUEEN ELECT. – After this paper has been printed, posted and read by many the result of the voting for Queen of War Chest Day would be known, it having been arranged that the voting would close yesterday evening at 5 o’clock, after which the Coronation ceremony was to take place. The betting before going to press was in favour of Miss Mary Brown.
BAD LANGUAGE. – We very much regret to report that complaints have been made to us by more than one resident of Vulcan Street that bad language in that thoroughfare has become quite a customary offence by a gang of hoodlums who congregate under Morris’ building, or verandah, of a Sunday afternoon and frequently at night. The foul-mouthed wasters keep a strict watch out for the police and when they hove in sight a decent silence is observed until the officers of the law get beyond the reach of their offensive vocabulary.
Lieut. Arthur Davidson, son of Mr. J. Davidson of Narooma, has won his Commission on the field.
Private E. J. Halliday, son of Mr. E. J. Halliday, Chairman of the local Land Board, was recently wounded in France.
WAGONGA NEWS. – A correspondent writes: – Our little village was all excitement on Saturday last when it became known that Pte. Fred Brice had returned from the war. A social at night was given by his mother, Mrs. A. Brice, all being invited, was a big success. On entering the hall the soldier was greeted by three hearty cheers. Mr. W. Moorhead then gave a stirring speech, which was ably responded to by the guest of the evening. Dancing and singing were indulged in, the music being supplied by the well-known musicians Mesdames Proddy and S. Shumack. After a splendid supper a most enjoyable evening was brought to a close by singing the National Anthem
Aeroplanes crossed the coasts of Kent and Essex, in groups, between 8 and 9 o’clock on Saturday evening. Several attacks were made on London. Bombs were dropped in the north-eastern and south-eastern districts and also in various places in Kent and Essex. London’s outer defences were not penetrated.
Eighteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1916 are available ($5 ea) from the Society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the Society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (www.mdhs.org.au).