fiona.png
spreads (7).gif

A warning to those who take their dogs to the beach for their exercise - puffer fish


Puffer Fish toxicity is relatively common in South Eastern Australia due to the abundance of dog friendly beaches. A recent case of a dog injesting a Puffer Fish and dying highlights the need to be attentive. The toxin, ‘tetrodotoxin’ is stored in the skin and internal organs of the puffer or blow fish. All parts of the fish can be toxic if eaten by dogs however the potency can vary with the season. In Japan this toxin is considered a delicacy where chefs prepare the fish so that diners experience a small tingle or numbness to the lips when eaten! If ingested in sufficient quantities however, puffer fish can be fatal to both humans and dogs alike. What will you see if your dog eats a puffer fish, alive or dead? · Vomiting and diarrhoea · Mentally dull and depressed · Trembling and drooling · Wobbly walking pattern · Weakness · Difficulty breathing and blue tinged gums · Dilated pupils and the animal stops blinking · Paralysis · Coma Death can occur anywhere from as little as 20minutes to 4-6hours post ingestion. What to do? Puffer fish toxicity takes time to be absorbed so it is important that you seek urgent veterinary attention. If your dog has vomited it is a good idea to inspect the fish and bring whatever you can with you to the vet. This will help with identification. What to expect at the vet: • Your vet will possibly induce vomiting if your dog is sufficiently alert to do this • Hospitalisation and close monitoring of neurological symptoms • If your dog is paralysed or showing evidence of weakness such that inducing vomiting can be dangerous, the vet may perform stomach pumping (gastric lavage) to remove any remaining fish • If your dog is paralysed it will need mechanical ventilation (where the vet or a machine manually provides breaths through a breathing tube) • Intravenous fluid therapy to support the blood pressure • Your vet may possibly administer activated charcoal (to help absorb the toxin) if your dog’s airway is secure Blood testing to assess severity of illness and ventilation, and response to treatment Many dogs are only mildly affected and will recover within a day or two. Dogs that become paralysed have a good chance of recovery with appropriate care (removal of the toxin and breathing support). Without veterinary care, pets that are paralysed are not likely to recover. All parts of the puffer fish are TOXIC and THEY CAN KILL PETS IF INGESTED, CHEWED OR LICKED


#Community #latest

COMMENTS : Due to the risks associated with comments from unidentified contributors that expose The Beagle to possible legal actions under the NSW Defamation Act 2005 No 77 anonymous or Nom de Plume comments will not be available until an alternate system of author verification can be investigated and hopefully installed.

Those who provide their REAL NAME (first name AND Surname) and a verifiable email address (it won't be published) are invited to comment below. (yes it is a pain but please comply - it would be a  shame to see your comment deleted)

Those contributors KNOWN to us and verified may continue to use their First Name for ease. The primary need for all of this is due to traceability should a legal action arise.

If you need anonymity email us via our normal or encrypted email accounts


Please note that if you are looking for a previous comment that is no longer visible please contact us.