Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of 31 March 1917, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:
MEDICAL PASS. – Mr. M. O. Storman, son of Mr. M. Storman, jun., Eurobodalla, was successful in passing his fifth degree examination (Faculty of Medicine), in connection with Sydney University.
KNITTING. – Mrs C. Cheeseman, the Hon Secretary of the Moruya Knitting Class, notifies our business columns that anyone leaving the address of a relative with her may have knitted articles sent direct to the front.
Mr. Thomas Emmott, driven by his son Mr. James Emmott in a Chevrolet car, arrived last week on a visit to his friends. Mr. James Emmott has recently joined the Benedicts, having married Mrs. White of Queensland, daughter of Mrs. R. L. Dawson of the town.
CHANCE FOR TRAVELLERS. – As will be seen by our business columns, our progressive townsman, Mr. A. H. Weatherby, is putting on an extra motor service to Nowra for the Easter holidays, the fares in his comfortable Buick cars will be only 30s, return £2 10s.
STATE ELECTIONS. – POLLING DAY IN MORUYA. – There have been many quiet elections in the past, but without exception that for the State election on Saturday last was the quietest and most uninteresting we have ever experienced in our usually quiet and well behaved town. The returns for Bega, including Moruya were Millard 3271 Webster 2351. The position of the parties is :- Nationalists 56, Labor 28, doubtful 6.
TUROSS FARM. – Owing to a desire to retire from country life and reside in the city, Mrs. Mary Mylott and daughters have decided to sell their beautiful home and extensive dairy farm known as “Tuross.” The Tuross is known to be one of the most picturesque and valuable properties on the South Coast \ and within easy distance of Moruya or Bodalla townships. Some years ago Mrs. Mylott refused a cash offer of £7,000 for this lovely homestead, but owing to her sons having all married and settled elsewhere on their account, and her own and her daughter’s anxiety to retire into private life in the city, the property is now for sale at a considerable reduction on the above figures. Intending purchasers will be shown over the property by Mr. P. J. Mylott of the Queen Street Stores, or by R. H. Harvison, auctioneer, with either of whom easy terms can be arranged.
THE Fat Cow guessing competition conducted by Mr. Flood in aid of the War Chest Fund, was won by Mr. Blacka, of Bega, who guessed the exact weight of the beast, viz., 667 lbs. Mr. “Jack” Buchan, a popular master butcher at Milton, guessed within 1 lb of the correct weight, his ticket showing 666 lbs.
GUESSING the number of coins in a pickle bottle in connection with the War Chest Fund was won by Mr. Crowe, a Mumbulla Shire Councillor. The pennies and half-pennies, generously donated by Mr. D. Cameron and ably conducted by Mrs. DeSaxe, numbered 281.
MECHANICS’ INSTITUTE. – The present Committee of the Moruya Mechanics’ Institute have performed wonders since taking over the reins of Government. Finding the finances in a very unsatisfactory condition the members decided to dispense with the services of a paid secretary and Mr. Egan, Public School Teacher, very generously undertook the Secretarial work as well as that of Librarian, whilst Mr. H. E. Simpson undertook the duties of Treasurer, and in conjunction with Mr. Flood, the duties of Mr. Egan in that gentleman’s absence. The cleaning and lighting of the billiard room has been admirably attended to by Messrs. DeSaxe, R. and F. Knight. The result of the generous labors of these spirited townsmen, supported by Messrs. L. Jenner, G. H. James, F. Russel and Rev. S. Henderson, the other members of the Committee, the debt on the billiard table has been wiped off, the Gloria light installed and the building beautifully painted inside and out by our local brush artists, Messrs. A. and M. Johnstone.
Eighteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1916 are available ($5 ea) from the Society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the Society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (www.mdhs.org.au).