Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of Date 1917, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:
CIRCUS. – Perry Bros. ne Circus and Menagerie will appear in Moruya on 13th March. Advertisement will appear in the next issue.
POLITICS. – For the information of those of the electors who are taking more interest in the result of the coming elections locally than our Editor is likely to do, we may state that the voting for the Bega Electorate at last general election was:- Millard, Liberal, 3810, Webster, Labor, 3484. The same two candidates are now out to fight the battle over again, but on this occasion the sitting member, Captain Millard, is out as the nominee of the newly formed “National Party,” which is composed of prominent members of the Labor, Liberal and Progressives.
EUROBODALLA SHIRE COUNCIL. – The result of the elections on Saturday has placed an entirely new team in harness to work the Eurobodalla Shire. Cr. H. J. Mallon, of Merricumbene, is the only member of the last six Councillors who were returned. Crs. J. R. Milne and J. E. Hawdon declined renomination. Cr. T. Flood, owing to his nomination paper not being properly witnessed, was thrown out of his own Riding (C) and the majority of electors of A Riding, which he then contested, not being acquainted with his popularity as Shire President, returned their own local candidate, Mr Joseph Sebbens.
MORUYA FREEZING WORKS. – We are pleased to report that the Moruya Refrigerating Company Ltd., will be opening their works on or about 17th March next. The building is very compact and consists of grading and receiving room. Fish room, 2 freezing chambers and one large storage chamber, engine room etc., all fitted with the latest up-to-date machinery, a 12-ton “Linde” compressor, capable of freezing 12 tons of ice or other products every 12 hours. As soon as the company opens they will be ready to receive rabbits, fish, poultry, etc. in any quantities and will pay market rates.
NERRIGUNDAH. – At the recent school examinations Master Norman Mather passed for his qualifying certificate. This is something new for the Nerrigundah School and does credit to our new teacher, Mr. Ginns.
The Secretary of the Cadgee Butter Factory was complimented by the Inspector, after his recent visit and examination of that factory, on having such a competent man as Mr. E. Mather in charge.
At a public meeting in the local school it was decided to have a marble tablet as a Roll of Honor placed in the Hall of that building as a mark of honor to all the natives of Nerrigundah and those who enlisted here and are serving their Country at the front. A Ball is to be held on the 9th march for the purpose of raising funds for that purpose.
The Eucalyptus industry is in “full swing” at Bellimba where Guest, Wilson and Hattley have their stills erected and Muldoon and party are setting up their tanks. Now that the road is opened up that far, the Council might see fit to continue it another four or five miles to Belowra and have a road practically out to Flood’s farm and fully 10 miles nearer to the port.
After many years of successful mining, Mr James Latty with Mrs Latty and family have decided to leave Nerrigundah and reside in Sydney. A public meeting is called for Saturday 3rd March to arrange a suitable farewell. Mr. and Mrs. Latty have always been ready to assist any movement for the benefit of the District.
NAROOMA NEWS. – A very nasty accident occurred on Saturday evening. W. Bolton and his brother, Roy were felling a bee’s nest, when the tree struck another and a large limb broke and came back on the two boys, striking W. Bolton on the head and back and rendering him unconscious. Roy as rather fortunate, escaping with a severe shock. We are pleased to hear that the young lad is about again, but rather shaky on it.
The s.s. Tuncurry crossed in on Wednesday morning where she intended loading timber at Mitchell Bros.’ wharf.
Eighteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1916 are available ($5 ea) from the Society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the Society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (www.mdhs.org.au).