More granite from Moruya


More granite from Moruya The statue of Captain Cook (1728-1779) in Sydney’s Hyde Park was unveiled on 25 February 1879 on the anniversary of his death. It was erected to commemorate Cook`s discovery of the east coast of Australia in 1770. The statue was paid for by public subscription and a New South Wales Government grant - £4400 in total. The Colonial Secretary, Henry Parkes, was involved by contracting a British sculptor. The larger than life bronze sculpture was made by Thomas Woolner (1825-1892) and cast in England. The granite base, of 15 tonnes, was shipped from the Louttit’s quarry near Moruya on the South Coast of New South Wales. To keep up to date with all things historical of Moruya and surrounds follow the Moruya District Historical Society on Facebook and be sure to visit their exceptional website

Source


#Moruya

nursing.png
buymeacoffee.png