top of page
Screenshot 2023-06-13 180949.png
  • Writer's pictureThe Beagle

100 Years Ago - 6th January 1923

MR. McCreadie, of McCreadie Bros., the famous building contractors, was in Moruya for the past week examining the granite quarries on the Moruya River with a view to obtaining stone for enlarging the G.P.O. Sydney.

Above: an image of turning granite columns

A NUMBER of motor car accidents have taken place in the district during the holidays, but without serious results, the worst being a collision on the Bateman’s Bay road when Mrs. Leeder, wife of Mr. R. A. Leeder, dentist, of Yass, received severe cuts and bruises. The cars in all cases were owned by tourists.

A LADY visitor to the district at Christmas time by some means fell out of the window of the top storey of the Club House Hotel, but fortunately the force of the fall was broken through striking the corner of the back verandah and gasometer. The victim is now in the local hospital suffering from severe concussion and fracture of the skull.

DURING the past few weeks the district has been encircled by smoke. On Saturday last a terrific wind storm from the west struck the town and as a result the iron telegraph poles on the Moruya bridge are not only bowing, but are making a complete obeisance to the rising sun.

OUR little community was greatly shocked on Wednesday afternoon when the sad intelligence was flashed round of a fatality at Kiora, the victim being Mrs. Eliza Collett, widow of the late Mr. Benjamin Collett and one of the oldest and most respected residents of the district. … The deceased lady, who was 79 years of age was a sister of the late Messrs. G., J. and C. du Ross, and by her loving and charitable disposition made hosts of friends.

MAGSITERIAL INQUIRY. – The Coroner, Mr. R. J. Anderson, held an inquiry at Moruya Hospital on Thursday. Margaret Collett being duly sworn stated: I was driving with my mother, Eliza Rebecca Collett, about four o’clock in the afternoon, driving a flighty horse in a sulky. Just as we came over the Western end of the Kiora bridge we met a man riding a motor bicycle coming towards us. Owing to some small oak scrub and a bend in the road we did not see the bicycle until about forty yards away. … the horse backed us over the steep bank which had about ten feet of a drop into the river. The next thing I remember was that we were under water. Both my mother and I were rescued by Allen Innes the rider of the motor bicycle. Allen Innes did all he possibly could to restore life. …

THE FINDING. - …..on the third day of January, 1923, Eliza Rebecca Collett died from shock caused through a horse backing a sulky into the Moruya River at Kiora and immersing the deceased in the water. Death being accidental.

Extracted from the Moruya Examiner by the Moruya and District Historical Society Inc.

NOTE: Comments were TRIALED - in the end it failed as humans will be humans and it turned into a pile of merde; only contributed to by just a handful who did little to add to the conversation of the issue at hand. Anyone who would like to contribute an opinion are encouraged to send in a Letter to the Editor where it might be considered for publication

bottom of page