100 Years Ago - 2nd April 1921

WEDDING. – on the 24th ult., at St. John’s Church, the Rev. G. A. Sanders celebrated the marriage of Miss Elsie Agnes, younger daughter of Mr. John Jeffery, of Greenwood, Moruya, and Mr. Clarence Selden, of Newstead Public School. The bride, who entered the church on the arm of her father, wore a pretty cream frock of crepe de chine, with the customary wreath and veil, and carried a bouquet of Easter daisies and pink dahlias. The bridesmaid, Miss Olive Bartlett, wore cream net, with cream hat, relieved with pink. Mr. C. De Saxe attended as best man. After the ceremony the bridal party adjourned to “Vivian” Cottage, where the breakfast was in readiness, the tables having been artistically arranged by the proprietress, Miss Williams.

SILO BURSTS. – A 930 ton brick silo on Mr. S. W. Bate’s farm at Marshmead, Tilba Tilba, which has just been filled, burst on Thursday night of last week. More than half of it fell, rendering the contents useless. Six chaff cutters were smashed and an engine was damaged extensively. The loss will run into over £300. Some time ago a barn of hay attached to the silo, was burnt, and it is thought that the fire injured the bricks and mortar, which, when the ensilage began to swell, were unable to stand the pressure.

FOOTBALL. – A meeting for the purpose of forming a football club was held in the Shire Hall on 26th ult. Mr. H. Sebbens occupied the chair. Others present were Messrs. C. Coppin, A. Keyte, B. Coppin, F. Coppin, C. Burke, H. Richards, J. Donnelly, A. Taylor, Toby Keyte, R. Whittaker, W. Luther, J. Turner, G. Donnelly, C. Smith, W. Turnbull, H. Crapp, H. Burke and L. Coppin. On the motion of Messrs. R. Whittaker and Taylor, it was decided to form a football club in Moruya. …… Membership was fixed at 5/, players to provide their own costumes.

AERIAL SURVEY FLEET AT MORUYA. - ……On Good Friday the flying boat “Seagull” piloted by Captain Andre Lang, who holds the world’s height record of 30,600 feet, or a fraction under six miles, gracefully lit upon the water near the I.S.N. Company’s wharf. Owing to the unfavorable winds, Capt. Lang was not anxious to indulge in passenger flights, and only two fortunate enough to participate in the exciting pastime were Constable Fuller and Mr. A. W. Constable. As the boat left its anchorage it gathered pace until it had reached a speed of 57 miles an hour; then rising into the air it flew towards the ocean. When near Pompey Point it ran into an air pocket, falling 150 feet. The flight down the river and out to sea for nearly 10 miles occupied about 15 minutes, the boat rising to a height of one thousand feet, affording a magnificent panoramic view of the beautiful beaches, lakes and winding creeks as far as Tomakin on the North and Narooma on the south. Looking down from such a height the fields of Mullenderee appeared to the aerial passengers as a beautiful miniature garden and the road leading thereto as narrow tracks. The return of the ship was anxiously awaited by the hundreds of spectators who line the banks on either side. …..

Extracted from the Moruya Examiner by the Moruya and District Historical Society.

Last week's 100 Years Ago featured an image of the yacht Acielle which had run aground at the Moruya River entrance. The yacht which was owned by Lebbeus Hordern was accompanying his flying boat featured in this weeks article. They were conducting an aerial reconnaissance of the coastline from Sydney to Tasmania.

COMMENTS : Due to the risks associated with comments from unidentified contributors that expose The Beagle to possible legal actions under the NSW Defamation Act 2005 No 77 anonymous or Nom de Plume comments will not be available unless the author is known to the editor by way of a verified email address or by association.

Others who provide their REAL NAME (first name AND Surname) and a verifiable email address (it won't be published) are invited to comment below. (yes it is a pain but please comply - it would be a  shame to see your comment deleted)

Those contributors KNOWN to us and verified may continue to use their First Name or Nom de plume for ease. The primary need for all of this is due to traceability should a legal action arise.

If you need anonymity email us via our normal or encrypted email accounts

Please note that if you are looking for a previous comment that is no longer visible please contact us.