spreads (3).gif

100 Years Ago - 16th April 1921

MOTOR CAR PIONEER. – We notice that Mr. G. Harrison has put another eight-cylinder Cadillac on the Moruya run in charge of his old driver, Mr. Les Ree, who has always won public regard by his courtesy, civility and careful driving. Last Christmas was the eleventh anniversary of Mr. Harrison’s start on this line, and although the early trials were severe and the great war a set-back, we are all pleased to see him “carrying on” with the grit and perseverance that are characteristic of the pioneer.

ACCIDENTS.- On Friday last whilst playing in the Public School ground, Jack, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Coppin, Gundary, fell and broke two small bones in his wrist. Dr. Cutler set the fractures and the injured member is progressing favorably. Little Colin White, grandson of Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Dawson, also is laid aside for repairs, through falling and partially dislocating his hip. Dr Cutler placed the patient under chloroform and successfully performed the replacement of the bone.

HOLIDAY. – April 25th (Anzac Day) is to be a Federal public holiday, but not a State holiday. The post office will be closed, but everything else will go on as usual.

ORDERED TO REST. – Mr. A. F. Loutitt, while on a holiday in Sydney, was taken ill. On consulting a doctor he was told that organically he was quite well, but his nervous system was run down. He was ordered to take a complete rest for at least three months. This is the hardest command the energetic Abe has ever had to obey.

SHIPPING. – The small coaster “Seagull” has been at the local wharf during the week reducing the congestion of timber. The I.S.N. Company steamer was expected to arrive at her moorings here by yesterday afternoon’s tide and leave again for Sydney by this (Saturday) evening’s tide.

SUDDEN DEATH. – On Sunday evening last on returning from church to her home at Bergalia, Mrs. W. R. Jeffery (who was accompanied by her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Nelson) was shocked to find that her husband had been seized with a paralytic stroke during her absence and was then unconscious. Dr. Cutler, who a short time after was passing on his way home from Narooma, was called in, but gave the sorrowing ones no hope of the patient’s recovery. Mr. Jeffrey never regained consciousness and at 12.15 the next morning passed peacefully over to that Bourne from which no traveller returns. Although not enjoying good health for some time the end was quite unexpected. Mr. Jeffery was the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Jeffery, of Summer Hill, and was 71 years of age at the time of his demise. He was a J.P. and a member of the local Licensing Bench. Besides a widow he is survived by two daughters, Mesdames S. W. Nelson (Bergalia), P. Russell (Bathurst), and one son Verner (Sydney), four brothers John “Greenwood,” Alfred L. “Summer Hill,” (Moruya), Sidney (Waratah), Robert (Murwillumbah) and three sisters, Mrs. Walter and Miss Emily (Moruya) and Mrs. J. Jauncey to mourn their loss. The funeral took place on Tuesday, the remains being interred in the Methodist portion of the Moruya cemetery.

PERSONAL AND OTHERWISE. – Rags make paper. Paper makes money. Money makes banks. Banks make loans. Loans make poverty. Poverty makes rags. And, so around we go again.

TO THE EDITOR. - Dear Sir, Allow me a little space in your valuable paper to give a word of warning to our travelling sportsmen who frequently trespass through our property. One would expect to find real men amoung sports. Even if the sport is angling, one need not be “fishy.” Yet it’s a fishy act to travel through a person’s paddocks and leave all the rails down, which has been done here a few times. I’ll admit that rails are somewhat cumbersome, and will hasten to replace same with gates as soon as the travelling ‘sports’ donate sufficient for their erection. Anyhow, concluding, don’t do it again, or else find some other place to recreate. C. DuRoss.

Extracted from the Moruya Examiner by the Moruya and District Historical Society.

Above and below: DuRoss point showing the bridge built to get to favourite fishing spots Below: Bannister photos from the 1930's

COMMENTS : Due to the risks associated with comments from unidentified contributors that expose The Beagle to possible legal actions under the NSW Defamation Act 2005 No 77 anonymous or Nom de Plume comments will not be available unless the author is known to the editor by way of a verified email address or by association.

Others who provide their REAL NAME (first name AND Surname) and a verifiable email address (it won't be published) are invited to comment below. (yes it is a pain but please comply - it would be a  shame to see your comment deleted)

Those contributors KNOWN to us and verified may continue to use their First Name or Nom de plume for ease. The primary need for all of this is due to traceability should a legal action arise.

If you need anonymity email us via our normal or encrypted email accounts

Please note that if you are looking for a previous comment that is no longer visible please contact us.