top of page
Screenshot 2023-06-13 180949.png
  • Writer's pictureThe Beagle

Rat Bait alert in Moruya

Following a recent occurrence in Moruya where a dog encountered, and consumed, rat bait it had found in its own backyard the following guidance from the RSPCA might help you recognise and then action. What are the risks to my cat or dog from rat bait?

Rat baits are dangerous and potentially deadly to animals and people that consume them. The baits used are normally flavoured to make them attractive to rodents and these can also entice other animals to eat them. Dogs and cats who ingest rat baits may die. Even children have sometimes been poisoned by rat bait. How are dogs and cats poisoned by rat baits? Your dog or cat could develop rat bait poisoning if they eat rat bait directly or if they eat tissue from an animal that has consumed rat bait. What are the clinical signs of rat bait poisoning? The clinical signs of rat bait poisoning vary considerably depending on the size of your dog or cat, and how much and what kind of rat bait they ingested. There are different kinds of rat bait available; the most common are anti-coagulant poisons that stop blood from clotting normally, resulting in excessive bleeding. The development of clinical signs is usually delayed for 3-7 days after the dog or cat consumes the poison. Signs of rat bait poisoning may include:

  • Obvious external signs of haemorrhage (dependent on where the bleeding is; for example bruising, bloody faeces or urine, nose bleeds, vomiting blood).

  • Lethargy

  • Weakness

  • Wobbliness

  • Loss of appetite

  • Distended abdomen from bleeding into the abdomen

  • Coughing, wheezing, or difficulty breathing from bleeding into the chest

  • pale gums from anaemia

  • Bulging of eyes from bleeding behind the eyes

  • Sudden death with no obvious clinical signs can also occur.

If you have any concerns about your pet please contact your vet as soon as possible. Rat bait poisoning can be treated, but the chance of recovery depends on how severely the dog or cat is affected, amount of bait consumed, and what kind of bait they ate. Seeking veterinary treatment as soon as possible is critical, with many needing prolonged treatment due to the lingering effects of the baits. What can be done to prevent rat bait poisoning? Avoid using rat baits around your property and opt for a safer and more humane method of rodent control. If you are using rat baits, make sure that they are always stored and used out of reach of children and other animals. Loose poison baits (pellets, meals) should not be used, instead the poison should be inside a bait station that cannot be accessed or opened by children and pets. Take steps to avoid your dog gaining access to rat baits outside of your property by keeping them on leash in areas where you know rat baits are present, and preventing them from eating rodents or carcasses. Cats may be at risk of eating poisoned rodents due to their hunting behaviour. You can take steps to protect your cat, particularly if they are safely contained to your property. Rat/mouse proof your property to prevent rodent numbers building up and also to prevent poisoned animals entering your property.

File photo (not the dog poisoned - BTW the dog poisoned in the lead above happily survived due to immediate vet treatment)


NOTE: Comments were TRIALED - in the end it failed as humans will be humans and it turned into a pile of merde; only contributed to by just a handful who did little to add to the conversation of the issue at hand. Anyone who would like to contribute an opinion are encouraged to send in a Letter to the Editor where it might be considered for publication

bottom of page