top of page
Screenshot 2023-06-13 180949.png
  • Writer's pictureThe Beagle

Toxic Algal Bloom Warning On NSW Coast including Eden

NSW DPI advises people not to consume shellfish (including bivalves (mussels and oysters), crustaceans (lobster, crabs and prawns) and gastropods (shellfish) collected or caught on the NSW coastline, due to the risk of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) https://bit.ly/3gttSWF. The known affected areas include:

The waters of the Hawkesbury River downstream of the Brooklyn railway bridge; Brisbane Water downstream of the Rip Bridge; and The waters of Twofold Bay.

Paralytic shellfish toxins are produced by certain toxic algae species. Alexandrium species that can produce paralytic shellfish toxins are continuing to bloom in the Broken Bay area. Shellfish taken from this area should not be eaten. Cooking does not destroy the toxins. Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning is rare, but it is important that people follow this advice to avoid getting sick.

This alert only reports algal blooms that have been brought to the attention of NSW DPI. Given the current adverse weather conditions caution is advised by avoiding consumption of recreationally harvested shellfish.

Seafood in shops and restaurants is safe to eat because the NSW Food Authority monitors the safety of commercially harvested shellfish.


NOTE: Comments were TRIALED - in the end it failed as humans will be humans and it turned into a pile of merde; only contributed to by just a handful who did little to add to the conversation of the issue at hand. Anyone who would like to contribute an opinion are encouraged to send in a Letter to the Editor where it might be considered for publication

buymeacoffee.png
bottom of page